International Research Funding
UROP Policy for International Research Funding
To minimize risk to students, the following policy applies to students seeking UROP funding for international activities.
1. UROP will sign a contract with OIE to provide customized services for each student that includes:
- Group insurance policy for one month with the following provisions: $500,000 basic medical coverage while abroad, no deductible, medical assistance services, medical evacuation and repatriation, security and political evacuation and security services; additional months can be added for a nominal fee
- Pre-departure guide
- TRAVAX travel health information
- OSAC Crime and Safety report
- Country specific guide, including health and safety information
- Info on registration of participants with International SOS
- Info on registering of participants with the U.S. Department of State
- Online registration with Office of International Education (includes information on travel itineraries, passport information, emergency contacts, and medical and disability needs)
- Emergency card for each participant;
- Fee is $75 per person per month, paid for by the student. For team grants each individual will pay $75 per person per month. This fee will be subtracted from the total UROP grant amount and transferred to OIE;
- International research team grants sponsored by a student organization must initiate this process directly with OIE;
- Grants will be held until student or teams initiate the OIE check-in process with the designated OIE liaison for CU-Boulder Sponsored Global Experiences.
2. Per university policy, UROP will not fund travel to or research in countries on the U.S. State Department’s Travel Warnings list.
- If the student’s research site country is so designated after the student was selected for UROP funding but before disbursement of funds, the student must consult with the UROP Coordinator to discuss viable alternative project changes;
- If the student’s research site country is so designated after UROP travel expenses are paid, the student must consult with the UROP Coordinator to discuss viable alternative projects and additional funding options depending on UROP budget availability.