The Gates Cambridge Scholarship
(Any field of study)
Deadline: October 15 annually (no campus deadline as no university endorsement required)
Description: This scholarship was created to enable outstanding graduate students from outside the United Kingdom to study at the University of Cambridge. The Trustees are required to award scholarships on the basis of a person’s intellectual ability, leadership capacity and desire to use their knowledge to contribute to society throughout the world by providing service to their communities and applying their talents and knowledge to improve the lives of others.
Term: Variable, depending on degree sought.
Amount of support: The scholarship covers the full cost of study at Cambridge for a single person in terms of all approved University and College tuition fees, a maintenance allowance (£12,500 for 12 months), and round trip transportation.
Number of scholarships: 100 new scholars each year, approximately 30 from the U.S.
- The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are available for graduate study or for study for a second Bachelor’s Degree as an Affiliated Student at the University of Cambridge.
- Applicants from every country of the world, except the United Kingdom, are eligible to apply.
- Candidates should normally be under the age of 30.
- To qualify for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, students must be admitted to Cambridge through the University’s normal academic procedures. Consequently, applicants must meet the academic criteria for admission specified by the University. Candidates must be well prepared for the course for which they are applying at Cambridge.
- All candidates must have, or expect to obtain before beginning study in Cambridge, a Bachelor degree, or its equivalent, from a recognized university.
- Candidates will be expected to have excellent transcripts with high GPA scores showing evidence of sustained achievement in study.
Application procedures: Applicants from the United States of America who have not previously studied at the University of Cambridge who wish to apply for admission as a graduate student and for awards offered by the Cambridge Trusts must complete and submit a Graduate Admission and Scholarship Application Form (GRADSAF) to the Board of Graduate Studies. A university endorsement is not required, but the Top Scholarships office is happy to assist with the application process. The application requires three letters of recommendation. See the Preliminary Requirements for U.K. application.